Salida is home to the largest “Historic District” in the State of Colorado. Historic Salida has been preserved beautifully. The following photos are of Salida’s downtown area.
Salida Downtown Historic District is Bounded by Arkansas River, former narrow gauge railroad right-of-way, 3rd & D Sts.,
Between 1880 and 1930, downtown Salida became the center of a burgeoning railroad community. Consisting of 111 buildings, the district’s size bears witness to the importance of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad as a local economic force during the period. Although Salida’s fortunes declined after 1930, due to changes in the Denver & Rio Grande system, it has managed to survive with a tourism based economy.
Some of Salida’s historic homes worth noting:
846 F St.
National Register 11/7/2007, 5CF.2048
The 1901 Alexander House contains several elements representative of late Queen Anne style residences, including elaborate ornamentation and an asymmetrical composition with multiple gables, angles, projections and heights. The entry porches with columns atop brick balustrades emphasize the asymmetry of the plan. The variety of materials used, including wood shingles, brick and stone, the changes in brick color and configuration of the wall courses and arched lintels, and the multi-colored shingle decoration in the gables, and the first and second story bay windows combine to create a highly textured façade.
803 F St.
National Register 4/29/2008, 5CF.2343
The 1908 house is an excellent representation of the Edwardian style. Similar to the Queen Anne style in massing, but with scaled down ornamentation, the house exemplifies the style with its asymmetrical composition, multiple gables, variety of construction materials, and wrap-around porch, all typical of Queen Anne. However, the house reflects a transitional period of architecture through its incorporation of the more restrained ornamentation of classical influences favored in the early 20th century. Theodore C. Bode, who had the house built, was a well-respected local druggist and town alderman. Joseph E. Stewart was associated with the Stewart Funeral Home for more than 60 years, served for years as the Chaffee County Coroner, and belonged to many local civic/fraternal organizations.
E.W. Corbin House
303 E. 5th St.
National Register 11/1/1996, 5CF.849
The 1884 E.W. Corbin House is associated with the early settlement of Salida. Corbin was one of the first to establish a residence and business in what was first known as South Arkansas. The house is architecturally significant as the best and earliest example of the Second Empire style in Salida.
Garret & Julia Gray Cottage
125 E. 5th St.
National Register 9/12/1980, 5CF.144
The 1½ story wood frame residence is a good local example of the Queen Anne style. Its asymmetrical massing is accented with a large bay window and a considerable amount of ornate wood trim. The house was built for Garret and Julia Gray in 1882, during the early development of Salida as a thriving commercial center. The Grays, early settlers in the area, owned and operated Salida’s first hotel, the New York House.
F.A. Jackson House
401 E. 1st St.
National Register 4/15/1999, 5CF.939
Constructed in 1890, the one-and-one half-story residence compares favorably with other local examples of the Second Empire style. A vernacular interpretation of the style, in addition to its well-preserved exterior ornamentation, most of its interior features remain intact. Frederick A. Jackson built the house while serving as a surgeon in the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Hospital. The property now functions as a bed and breakfast.
102 Poncha Blvd.
National Register, 10/8/2008, 5CF.2366
Constructed over the years from 1943 to 1954, the Heister House is an excellent example of the Moderne style. Elements typical of the style seen on the house include a flat roof, smooth stucco veneer, rounded corners, porthole openings, glass block, and a curved metal canopy. Designed by owners Elwood and Frances Heister, the foundation for the entire house was poured and the west portion completed in 1943. The family lived in the west half as work continued on the east side. The eastern portion saw completion in 1954. It was at this time the two sections were coated with stucco and the house took on the appearance of moderne style. The house retains all of the original elements to this day.
Take a day and walk around Salida and enjoy the unique architecture.